Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Rash Behavior
Friday, just about the time we were finishing supper, I noticed my right arm was itchy. Then it was really itchy, then REALLY.REALLY.ITCHY. I pulled up my sleeve and there was a sandpaper fine rash on my right arm, then I pulled up my other sleeve...yep, same thing on my left arm. As we finished dinner the rash had spread up both of my arms and started to go to my shoulders, chest, and back. After a semi-panic-y call to my Mom, where-in we decided while scary I was not in a true emergency situation, I took benadryl as directed and a hot hot shower. My skin was severely itchy and the rash kept spreading through the night. I ended up not sleeping much (it is hard to sleep when you can not even touch your own skin with out it itching, much less bed sheets, sleeping clothes, or your partner!) and was still panic-y in the morning when the rash had advanced down my legs, even though it was less on my arms, chest and back. I am not sure but I guess I was feeling like if I kept thinking it would be gone in the morning, it really would be. I spent Saturday sleeping (benadryl) and trying to keep myself from scratching. By Saturday night it was no longer spreading, and was much improved on my top half. By Sunday, just the rash on my legs was left. Still pretty itchy, but tolerable and I was able to go run errands with Don and we went bowling together. Today I still have a little bit left on my knees and thighs, but it is less bumpy and less itchy. At this point we still do not know what the cause of the rash was. We had been having issues with the washing machine and I have a history of skin sensitivity, especially to things like laundry soap and dryer sheets. As a child I used to have a wheat allergy that manifested itself as a sandpaper skin rash. I have not had any issues with wheat in my adult life, but we did have whole wheat pasta Friday night and it was a different brand than we normally use. At any rate, the mystery rash is resolving and the next step, once I am all healed is to try it out again. We will see if trying the pasta again will have the same result or if it will just remain an unknown and hopefully extremely rare occurrence...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment