Sunday, May 1, 2011
Running for My Life
This year I started running. I had not been doing anything really for exercise, with the exception of occasional walking, and was really just beginning to feel pretty sad and out of shape. In the past I have "started" many different activities for exercise and have never been able to fully commit to doing it. Things tended to go well for a few weeks before tapering off and then stopping completely. Something changed when I started running this year. At first I could not even run one full circle of our neighborhood with out needing to walk and pretty much panting the whole way and it hurt. I gradually added more distance as it started to get easier. Currently my long run is 9 miles and I have plans for a half and then later full marathon. I run 2 to 3 times a week and am working on adjusting my distances to get the best benefit without hurting my body. I feel different when I run. At the start of my run I can feel my legs and body waking up, I feel my muscles get warmed up and my breathing start to get harder. Usually I think for a while, just letting my mind ponder over whatever it wants, thinking about my work, planning my next run, thinking about plans and dreams. After a while I get into a rhythm and it's almost like my body just melts away, I can look around and see things as I run. Then my brain just shuts off, no more thinking. I am just aware of my body working, my lungs breathing, the light, the wind, nature around me. For a problem thinker, perpetual worrier this is a wonderful, almost unbelievable feeling. There is nothing more important right at that second than me and my body working. Sometimes when I have a tough day at work and it is not a running day or I wasn't able to fit in a run, and I can't sleep, I imagine going for a run. I lay in bed and close my eyes, change into my running kit, lace up my running shoes and just go. It is true what people say about exercise healing your body and mind, and I never really believed it. Not until now. Anima Sana In Corpore Sano- Sound Mind In Sound Body.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment