Friday, September 12, 2008
Week in Review
A lot has gone on this past week...no time to "esplane" so let me sum-up. Last week was bluesy and culminated in what we call at work a "death-day". It is exactly what it sounds like. Needless to say not the best for getting one out of a funk. The weekend was much better, Don and I spent Saturday playing tourists in our own town and walked around the historic downtown and generally had a relaxed day. We also found a great new product called the SlimCat, henceforth to be referred to as the kibbleball, for Rye. Basically it is a ball with adjustable holes in it so the cat has to work for the food. The idea being that the cat will expend calories getting them and thus not have as much weight gain....sort of like a real wild cat would do....hunt to eat. Anyway, Rye loves it and I think it will be great for him. Then Sunday we did errands and house stuff and then it was Monday and back to work. This week has been somewhat better, less blue, which is good. I did take the kitties in for annual exams and vaccines this week and they did well. Today was just weird, with every appointment showing up late (to varying degrees)...but ended with me showing my skills. A sick kitty came in last appointment of the day and as I was rooming them, the kitty peed in it's crate. I assured the owner we would get everything cleaned up, got the kitty out and said "I'm going to take a sample of this urine, just in case the Dr needs to look at it." Because it was ORANGE. I didn't want to freak the owner out so I just was very cool. Then I told the Dr...."I think this cat has liver issues." Sure enough, once I did the urine dip stick and looked at the sediment....crazy bilirubin and bilirubin crystals(they look like little bundles of red threads)!!...not only that but high glucose and protein too. Most likely it has some liver disease and possibly diabetes too. Not so good for the kitty, but I felt good about my ability to asses and think diagnostically. After work tonight we headed over to a friends new office to have a surprise dinner with him. It was cool. Now we are home, Don is gearing up for the Pilots game on TV, and I am thinking about bed. I have work tomorrow. Poo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad that you are better and ever so glad that you had a good weekend with Don. I hope that you and your kitties have a good day tomorrow and that you have a much better week. I am on call and it has been hectic. I'm at the hospital now, waiting on a baby which will happen sometime tonight.
Post a Comment