Saturday, January 23, 2010

Getting the Ghia

Our little Savannah is finally home! It certainly was an adventure getting the little Ghia home too. The plan was for our friend G to pick us up and drive us to House of Ghia, so that Don and I could ride home in the Ghia together and not have an extra vehicle to deal with. I was really really excited about getting the car home and being able to ride home together. Unfortunately, life rarely goes exactly as planned and G was unable to drive us (due to no fault of his own, and we really appreciate his agreeing to do it for us even if it fell through! Thanks G!). Further compounding things, the owner of House of Ghia was going to be out of town for the weekend, so it was Thursday or not until next week...and Don really wanted to get the car. So on Thursday after work Don and I headed to Salem. We made great time and had a chance to talk with the restoration guy and get a little familiar with the car and all the little quirks. Pretty quick we were ready to go, Don in the Ghia and me in the truck. I was feeling pretty disappointed about not being able to ride home in the Ghia with Don and having to drive the truck home, following behind...and then Don lost me at a stop light. Rar. I knew he would be stopping at a gas station before too long, but I really don't know my way around Salem, and it was a bit of a battle to keep calm and not get angry. I mean, he knew I was following him, right? Plus I realized I had both phones. Nice. I was not feeling better. Luckily for me, there is decent signage for the road home and the Ghia is pretty distinctive, so even a longish way off I recognized it turning into a gas station and was able to get there before he finished gassing up. The rest of the drive home was very uneventful and the Ghia did great. Once we got home I was still feeling a little bummy and Don was really not understanding why. I explained that I was not mad, just really disappointed because I was so excited to be able to ride home together and it just didn't get to work out. We agreed that there would be lots of opportunity for other rides and eventually we let it go. Friday came and so did the rain, so no chance of a drive. Today we both worked the morning and it was a beautiful day. Sunny and blue sky, not too cold, so after I got home from work I called Don (he was still working) and asked if he thought we could go for a drive when he got home. About an hour later he came home and we headed out for my first ride in the Ghia. We had a great time. We took a drive in the country and stopped at a VW mechanic to get acquainted, then headed home. It was really fun and I love the car. It is very different from modern vehicles, it is noisy and low...and very very cool! I am so excited for more sunny days for Ghia drives and shows.

1 comment:

Midlife Midwife said...

YEA!!!! I'm so glad that your little baby is home. I'm also glad that you got to take a ride together. I'm sad for you not to have gotten to ride home together for the first time, but I'll hope for many more great rides through beautiful country!