Today was a pretty up-and-down day, or maybe the other way around. I always know something will happen when it is just me and M working. It's just something that happens, like some crazy planetary alignment that makes strange, sad, tough, things happen...First thing of the day one of our really great clients, like A-list people, calls to let us know that their deeply loved lab passed away in the night, and did they need to keep the previously scheduled appointment to have us take care of her remains? We assured them that, no they could bring her whenever they were ready...only to realize that the lab is too large for one person to pick up and the spouse is in a wheel chair. They were unable to get her into a vehicle and were going to call a neighbor to help them. M and I asked, would they just prefer if we came and picked her up and took care of her? They were very thankful and appreciative. So the only 2 employees put up a sign (will return in 20 min due to emergency house call, we apologize for any inconvenience), left the relief Dr with instructions not to answer the phone (just let it to go to the message), and headed off. When we arrived we were greeted by the owners, crying and very upset. It never gets any easier, and this pet was special not only to the owners but to all of the clinic staff too. Hugs all around, followed by the double check that she really was gone. Then a gentle and respectful load up and off we went again. Just because these folks are so special and they had had a tough year (another pet had passed away very recently) we sent a bouquet, just because...I hope it helped them feel better. I know it helped us.
Back at the clinic our weekly infusion patient was waiting, ready for his jugular catheter to be placed so he could get started. Back up 3 weeks to just before my boss went on vacation...."I really want you to get proficient at this." he says to me (meaning placing jugular catheters)...!!!!!!!..Aaaaaaahhh, is what I was thinking, what?Me?....Fast forward to now...For the past two weeks I have attempted to place the jugular catheter on this dog four times (two times for every visit) and have not been able to do it. The tricky part is once the needle is under the skin, getting the huge, rolly, bouncy vein to hold still long enough to get the needle in and the catheter advanced.....all while keeping the patient completely still! Today we try a slightly different technique that basically has me hold off/press the vein in two separate places and holy heck it worked! I got it set on my first try! I was pretty stoked and felt very proud. There was lots of kudos all around and it is a great new skill to have. I need to do it a few more times before I will say mastered, but still, pretty good.
After that long day I went to the library to look for some beginner Yoga DVDs. I have been noticing for a while that, while I am not overweight, I am out of shape and I don't like it. I want to be fit, not just for the wedding but for life. I have an exercise ball and DVD, and while I enjoy doing it, I have had trouble sticking to a routine and exercising regularly. I guess I am sort of just feeling around in the dark for something that I really like and can stick to...even if it is just trying different things all the time! Tonight I tried out one of the Yoga work outs and I did like it. I am a little sore tonight, but I guess that means its working. This is day 2 of exercise after work and so far so good. I sure did sleep well last night :-) !
1 comment:
you go girl.. conats on new skills. Exercise is a good thing - not always easy but good to do none the less.wj
Post a Comment