Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wally Bear

We have had a loss in our family. My parents are still in England and have a lady watching their home and kitties. I got a call today from her that one of our kitties was in the hospital and not doing well. I was able to call her back and then call the Dr. My good kitty Waldo, who is pretty scared-y, had not been seen for a few days and the house sitter found him on Thursday laying in the bath tub not moving. She rushed him to the hospital where they determined that he had a urinary blockage. At the hospital they were able to pass a urinary catheter to relieve his bladder and started him on fluids and hospital care. He was not successful urinating on his own on Saturday, so he was kept in the hospital with a catheter for the weekend. Sometime between Sunday morning and Monday morning he became paralyzed in his back end. He had no pulse in either back leg and both back legs were cold, meaning there was no blood flow. The Drs diagnosis was a blood clod that was most likely caused by an underlying heart condition. There is no cure or treatment for this type of condition. I had to make the final decision to put him down, I knew there was nothing else that could be done and that it was the best and most loving choice. After talking with the Dr, we both felt that the urinary issue was most likely caused by stress (since he is so fearful), which might mean he would not be drinking as much as he needed and holding his urine longer than he needed. Then the added stress of being sick could have exacerbated the heart condition, causing the clot to form and break free. Just a bad deal and series of bad events that all seemed to work together for a bad outcome.
I miss him a lot already. He was a very special kitty. When he was really happy and excited he would mix with his front feet like he was dancing. He had the best tail ever, it was like a big bushy feather duster. He had a loud purr and a little tiny noise he would make when he wanted the other kitties to play with him. He was a good "watching over kitty" for me when I needed it most. My Dad told me just before we got him, as I was having a hard time with the illness and impending loss of one of our other kitties, that even though I was sad at the thought of loosing him, not to think that getting another kitty would divide my love but instead would multiply it. It really did and Wally was a wonderful special kitty. Rest easy now Waldo,go quiet and calm, no more pain. I love you.
A heartfelt Thank You to Lucy, Dr. A. Ross and all the staff at CAC. I know you all did the very best you could and your care is deeply appreciated.

2 comments:

OJ and Adam said...

I'm so very, incredibly sorry that Waldo is gone. *hug*

Midlife Midwife said...

Hilary - thank you so much for helping take care of things while we are away. You wrote a beautiful eulogy.