Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Swiss Cheese Attack

After looking back at previous posts from the trip, I realized I left out some good stuff, I think I was just tired and having a hard time tracking while posting. On Friday we first drove to Santa Rosa and did some wine tasting out on Dry Creek Road. We stopped at this wonderful little deli and had sandwiches, they were so good! Then we went to a winery that also had artisan bread made daily and lots of kitties running around the property. Their wines were ok, a little bit over priced overall I thought, but we did taste one that Don wanted to buy. The winery and worker people sort of had a more snooty personality. From there we went to another winery that we had visited last year and really enjoyed their wines. Good people and great wine. We were the first people who had come in to taste that day and since there was no one else there at the time, we got to do a free futures barrel tasting too! We bought two types of wine there and are thinking about looking into buying futures for next year. After that we headed to Sacramento and the traffic was just terrible. The drive took way longer than we were expecting and we both were pretty road weary by the time we got in to town.
The time trial in Sacramento was very cool, it was an out and back so if you wanted you could see the same rider twice. While we were there we met a woman who had a professional type camera and was getting the most amazing shots of the riders as they flew (literally) by. She offered to e-mail us photos and we took her up on that! I was still not feeling super though and it was sort of a long day for me. Especially since we did not plan ahead and did not eat lunch before the race started. Poor planning. We were able to get some snacky stuff, but I was very happy when we actually sat down inside for supper once we got back into Santa Rosa. The drive back to Santa Rosa was way better than the first time and we made it in a much more reasonable time.
We really did have a good time. We are already talking about next year, extending our stay hopefully. We really like Santa Rosa and are hoping it is a host city next year too. We want to spend more time there and visit more wineries and the Charles Schultz museum too. We will just have to see what the route looks like next year.
So far it has been really nice to be home again. Don got his bank stuff taken care of this morning, so that seems to be on the mend. I slept in and enjoyed time snuggling with the kitties. They were so happy to have us home again. I know the rest of the day holds some laundry and grocery shopping, but I know we will just have some relaxing time too, which I know I will enjoy since I go back to work tomorrow, back to real life.

No comments: