Friday, January 16, 2009

Smoke Detectors and Problem Texters

It is a good thing it is the end of the week. I am not sure I can take much more. Early early this morning, like 3am, I was dead asleep with Rye on my head and all of a sudden, he pops his head up as if he has heard something. I mumble something comforting to get him to settle in again and then I hear it too. *chirp* pause pause pause pause *chirp*. Argh. The smoke detector in our room needs a new battery. Why does that always happen in the middle of the night? So up I get, to go get the flashlight so I can take out the old battery and go back to sleep. I bring in a stool and get the flashlight so I can see. Keep in mind that Don is still asleep through all of this so far. He sleeps with earplugs in. Naturally I can not figure out how to open the stupid thing either. I twist it and the whole thing come away from the ceiling, it is hardwired into the house so it doesn't fall, but I dropped the flashlight instead. Our flashlight, by the by, is not a little dinky plastic one, but a big black police style mag light. Don wakes up and looks at me, somewhat confused, as I am standing on the stool with the smoke detector hanging from the ceiling next to my head. Still with his earplugs in, I shout at him what is going on and that I need his help. *chirp* He finally understands on the third try and with earplugs still in quickly gets the battery compartment open (it was right on the face of the stupid thing!) and gets the new battery in (so there will be no risk of our house burning down in the remaining 3 hours we will be in bed) and gets back in bed. Finally I am back in bed and too soon it is time to get up. Today was a quiet day at work and we had planned ahead of time for one of our workers to leave early. This worker is one that I have a difficult time working with and so I was not sad to have this person leave early. Today this worker was just not doing anything. No self starting and I really hate babysitting. I don't have the time or energy to hand hold and tell someone what to do all the time. So instead of doing a task, I see this person texting. Unacceptable. I let the worker know that was not ok and that they needed to find a task, politely. Blargh. It was a good thing said person left early because the attitude was driving me batty with it's crappiness. Anyway, now I am home and getting ready to have a nice relaxed evening at home with my partner. No more chirps, no more texting. I am looking forward to a nice weekend visit with my parents. It will be good to see them again, it has been a while since we got together. We have had some colder weather overnight and we are just hoping there will not be any ice on the roads tomorrow.

No comments: