Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Hello??
Today brings more news, not much clarity, but more news. We heard from Don's brother, who heard from one of their aunts, that the other aunt who had a heart attack is "ok". Whatever that means. It is very strange for me to realize that not everyone has the same communication that my family does. It is a little difficult for me to really fit in with Don's family because no one ever talks about anything. You might think I am kidding, but I am totally not. About a year and a half ago Don's mom had a stroke just after a heart surgery. Pretty monumental, right? You might expect a call from, say his dad, to let us know about this emergency. No. We get a call the next day from one of his aunts to let us know she is in intensive care. I mean it all worked out in the end, we were able to see her and she is sort of recovered, but it just blew my mind. We never heard from his dad once. If we wanted to know what was going on, we had to call and ask and ask and ask. I think this is really one of the basic issues that Don and I struggle with in our relationship. He is so used to just "dealing with things on his own" because he never had a network to talk about things and get help processing things. I admit I have never been and am still not the best communicator, but I have and still am improving. I can remember getting so angry at my mom asking me "What are you thinking?" when I was upset. Like, how I am supposed to know and say!!??!! Now I ask Don the same thing, and I sort of understand when he gets frustrated. At any rate, it is always interesting and still a little scary knowing that in a few months Don and I will be joined to each other and each others family. For better and for worse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So. . . what are you thinking? Hum, if you haven't decided what you are thinking how can anyone else know what you are thinking. I think you see the problem a little bit now. One wants to help so much when a loved one is hurting, but in order to not say something hurtful the speaker needs to know where the person who is hurting is at. Hum. . . therein lies the rub. I know you'll figure it out. Keep working on it.
Post a Comment